The Best Way to Get to Newark Liberty Airport: NJ TRANSITAugust 10, 2016 - by City Guide News Desk
Despite being located in New Jersey, Newark Liberty is very accessible to New York City—in fact, depending on your point of departure or arrival, it can by far be the closest airport of NYC’s big three. The location outside of NYC also means Newark airport usually has the cheapest fares to New York. The easiest way to reach Newark Liberty is via NJ TRANSIT, New Jersey's train system.
Major advantages of NJ TRANSIT to Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) include:
- Reliable scheduling. Know exactly how much time to allow to catch your flight, without risk of major traffic backups (unfortunately a common occurrence between New Jersey and NYC.) The NJ TRANSIT trip to Newark Liberty airport from midtown is only 25 minutes.
- Save money. Limo and cab rides from midtown start at around $50, not including tolls. The train trip from NYC is just $13.
- Easy access from Manhattan. Trains run regularly from Penn Station at 34th Street and Seventh Avenue in midtown.
- Convenience. On weekdays between 6am and 9pm, at least six NJ TRANSIT trains arrive every hour at the airport station, and even at night (9pm to midnight), four trains arrive every hour. For further convenience, note that no reservations are required. Tickets are valid between the stations printed on them at any time, on any day, on any train.
- Smartphone access. Tickets may be purchased from ticket vending machines or agents at boarding stations. A new feature is NJ TRANSIT's MyTix, which allows tickets to be purchased and displayed from the ease of your phone via a NJ TRANSIT app.
- AirTrain. NJ TRANSIT's Newark Airport Rail Station connects to terminals via the futuristic AirTrain monorail. AirTrain ferries passengers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Allow 15 minutes travel time to go from the rail station to your terminal. The cost of the AirTrain is $5.50, but it's already included in your NJ TRANSIT fare.
- From Penn Station. Board a Northeast Corridor or North Jersey Coast Line train to Newark Liberty International Airport Station. Consult departure screens for more information. Trains that stop at the airport are designated with an airplane or "EWR" on the departure boards.
- After hours. Note that trains run 7 days a week, but there's no service between 2am and 5am.
Airlines serviced by Newark Liberty:
- Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Delta, El Al, Elite Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Icelandair, Jet Airways, JetBlue, La Compagnie, Lufthansa, OpenSkies, Porter Airlines, SAS, Southwest, Swiss, TAP Portugal, United, United Express, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic
For more information, call 973-275-5555 or visit njtransit.com.
Looking for a day trip from NYC? Click here for beaches, shopping, amusement parks, and more, all easily accessible via NJ TRANSIT.